"We Gather to build ant don't gather to Destroy"
Barr. Anna Mbasuguhun Darius Ishaku, wife of Taraba State Governor who hails from Vandeikya Local Government Area of Benue State and was born on the 24th of August, 1957 in Wusasa, Zaria to Mr. Paul Erihii and Mrs. Clara Victoria Wayo is married to His Excellency, Arc. Darius Ishaku and blessed with five (5) children.
Barr. Anna Ishaku graduated from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, in 1979 and was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1980. She started her legal career in private practice before joining the Ministry of Justice Kaduna state where she held the position of Director Public Prosecutions before rising to the peak of her career as Solicitor General and Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Justice in 1997. She held this position until 2002 when she left to join the ECOWAS Community Court of Justice as Chief Registrar.
She has chaired and been member to several White Paper Drafting Committees, a past Chairperson of International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Kaduna Branch, Legal Adviser to several Associations including; Association Against Child Abuse and Neglect, Association of Physically Challenged, Chancellor of the Anglican Diocese of Katsina and Registrar of Diocese of Kaduna.
In her quest to support her husband Barr. Ishaku established Hope Afresh Foundation Taraba, a Non-Governmental Organization to provide services and programs that will ensure that dividends of democracy spread faster. Her programs are designed for the common good and to change lives positively.
- Sensitization programs carried out include;
- On HIV/AIDs prevention
- On the dangers of drug abuse across the sixteen (16) Council Areas of the State.
- Free medical outreaches to the following communities
- Jalingo, the state capital
3.And to the Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs camps in;
- a) Sabon-Gida/Kwararafa in Gassol Local Government.
- b) Bali in Bali Local Government Area
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes (UNODC) for professionals and stakeholders towards curbing the menace of drug addiction.
- Enrolled fourteen (14) youths from Ndola Ngada community in College of Nursing and Midwifery Jalingo and College of Health Technology Takum.
- Trained five hundred and ninety five (595) persons (men and women) as Traditional Birth Attendants, TBA in the (16) LGAs and the (2) Development Areas of the state.
- Sponsored (30) participants from Ndola Ngada Community on Train-the-trainers programme in collaboration with the state ministry of education.
- Education Scholarships for (5) orphans in Madiba Primary School in Jalingo.
- Carried out career talks in 30 selected schools across the three zones of the state.
The success story of these developments was the establishment of a Drug rehabilitation/Drop-in Centre in Jalingo, the State capital by Her Excellency, Barr. Anna Ishaku. It is the only centre in the North-Eastern region of Nigeria.
- Empowerment programs to fight poverty and unemployment include;
- Training and empowerment of over five thousand youths, women, physically challenged, retired civil servants and other vulnerable groups on skills acquisition in tailoring, Welding, Mechanics, cosmetic production, headgear and make-up.
- Trained four hundred and sixty (460) youths on Entrepreneurial Development in collaboration with the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.
- Skills training to IDPs in Chanchanji, Bali and Mutum-Biyu.
- Train (10) physically challenged youths in ICT
- Gives out rice, maize and groundnut milling machines to women groups.
- Distribution of sesame seeds to 30 cooperative groups.
- Distribution of fertilizers and seedlings to IDPs in Bali, Mutum-Biyu and Chanchanji.
- Discovered and brought to lime light a remote community, (Ngada People) of over forty thousand population to earn Government recognition for a Development Area, hence bringing the Government closer to the people.
- Drilled and installed hand-pump boreholes in the following communities:
a). IDPs camp in Bali.
b). New Market Takum.
c). Two cemeteries in Jalingo.
d). Tor-Damisa in Donga.
- Distributed exercise books and cash to over (20) schools in Jalingo the state capital and IDP camp in Jauro gbadi, Jalingo.
- Distributed food items, toiletries and essential packages to:
a). IDPs in Wukari, Ibi, Bali, Chanchanji, Sabon-Gida, Kwararafa and Ndola communities.
b). UMCN and Alheri orphanages in Jalingo, Rock Foundation and Divine orphanages in Donga.
c). Physically challenged/Less privileged
d). Distributed packages to patients in the Specialist Hospital in Jalingo.
- Gave financial support to women religious bodies-CAN/FOMWAN.
- Monthly stipend to vigilante group members of Ndola Ngada communities.
- Distributed farming implement to Ndola Ngada communities.
8.Distributed building material worth millions to Ndola Ngada communities.
- Distribution of wheel chairs to 10 physically challenged persons.
Barr.Anna Ishaku is an epitome of excellence, an exceptional leader that has written her name on sands of history given the aforementioned invaluable services to her profession, society and humanity.